I know, I know, Mother's Day is only a few days away but maybe you haven't quite figured out the right gift. Or maybe, you've been so busy running around, taking the kids here and there, fixing dinner, caring for a baby, and simply going crazy with how busy you are that you suddenly remembered Mother's Day, and OMG, you haven't bought gift! As a mom, time can get away from us, and before we know it, gift giving holidays are upon us and we have no idea what to do that is both meaningful and practical. Sometimes, simple is fantastic, and homemade is way more special then an iTunes gift card. Here's our simple, messy, fun, meaningful, inexpensive Mother's Day present my kids and I created for my mom and my step-mom.
You will need:
- A pillow case (whatever thread count you desire, white is best)
- Fabric safe paint (we used acrylic because I have a ton of it and because I knew my moms wouldn't be using these pillow cases for everyday sleeping)
- Fabric Markers (I borrowed some from my son's preschool class)
- Cardboard to place inside pillow case during painting (old cereal box, cracker box, posterboard, etc)
- Place the cardboard box inside the pillowcase to prevent the paint from bleeding and sticking to the opposite side of the pillowcase.
- When the kids have chosen their preferred colors of paint (1 color per kid), coat both hands and have them stamp them onto the pillowcase in desired fashion. Be creative! As you can see in the picture, I had my oldest stamp her hands further apart with my son in them middle, but you may have an idea that suits you better.
- There are a couple ways you can do your "kisses":
- Have the kids put lipstick on and kiss the pillowcase. Then using fabric paint or fabric markers, go over the kiss to make it permanent.
- draw some lips with fabric markers (as seen below)
- If your kids are really daring, and the paint is non-toxic, have them coat their lips with the fabric paint and kiss the pillowcase (good luck with that!)
- Use the fabric markers write "Hugs and Kisses for Grandma." You can also record the date, kids names and ages (see below), or whatever personal information you want to include for memories.
- This project needs drying time! If you are in a crunch, place it in the sun to speed things up.
Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there. I hope you find some time to relax, even if that means using the toilet all on your own.