Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's Playtime: Reading Fun

School is right around the corner.  Some of you may homeschool while others are preparing to send their kids to preschool or elementary school for the first time.  It's been proven that reading starts at home.  I myself have been reading to my kids since birth....and I mean birth.  As soon as I was able to balance my newborn and a book, I read to them.  With my daughter, it helped to develop her verbal skills early on; she began talking around 9 months (I'm sure it helped that I talk constantly, even to my newborns).  With my son, he has a dedicated love for reading...even if it's the same book over and over.  In my own life, some of my earliest memories of my dad are of him reading to me.  He loved Bill Peet, so we read books like The Wump World and The Whingdingdilly.  We didn't have a TV so that was our special time.  As I grew older, I would read to my step-mom as she brushed and styled my hair.  We read classics such as Little Women and The Secret Garden.  This was our special time.  Reading brings us together and teaches us to fly.  We can learn something new or get lost in our imagination.

This week on It's Playtime, let's read!

Books on CD are fun but also expensive.  Why not create your own?  Raising the Cameron Clan shares how you can create your own Books on CD.

Lego Duplo has been promoting their new Read and Build sets like crazy.  Head over to The Educators' Spin On It and check out their Tips and Printables for the Lego Duplo Busy Farm Set.

B-Inspired Mama.com shows us how to create a Simple Grocery Game turning shopping into a fun and educational activity.  Not only does it keep the kids entertained but matching labels promotes basic reading skills.

If you were featured this week, don't forget to grab your special "featured button."


These activities plus more can be found over on the It's Playtime Pinterest Board.  Happy Pinning! 
Now, on to this weeks play date! 
It's Playtime is a community and Thursday link-up hosted by:

* Rachele : Messy Kids (That's me!)
* Anna : The Imagination Tree
* Rachel : Quirky Momma
* Jamie : hands on : as we grow
* Jenny : Let the Children Play

How to Play :
* Link up a post about a playful learning experience enjoyed by kids.
* Give us love and pop a button into your post/blog. Invite your readers to the weekly play date!


* Stop by one of our blogs every Thursday and add your link about play. Your link will show up on each of the blogs in the It's Playtime community.
* Each week the playtime hosts will choose favorite posts to feature. (By linking you are giving us permission to use an image and link to you, if featured.)
* Be sure to visit some of the links that catch your eye. Commenting on posts that you find interesting or inspiring is a wonderful way to develop your own playful community.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring our Books on CD. My boys absolutely love the ones I have made. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to have stumbled upon your blog. It is awesome. I cannot wait to have more time to explore it! =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...